Saturday 9 October 2010

Day 124: Creative Research

Today's question is, how can we, as creative people, ever produce anything new if we don't know what's come before us?

If you are a poet and you don't read other poet's work, how can you ever be sure you aren't covering old ground? If you are an artist and you don't go to galleries and look at other's work, how do you know if you are producing an original idea?

Is there even such a thing as an original idea? Some would say no. But, my point is that whatever you are into, you need to know what has come before you. Even if it is only to get inspiration. After all, if something inspires you, you don't just copy it, you make it your own.

My challenge for you today is to do some 'research'. Read, watch, listen, to something that interests you and learn from what has come before.

As a writer, I am constantly reading. If I don't know what's out there, how can I ever be fresh? Plus, it's a great way to learn and I'm doing what I love! David Almond said, 'a book is influenced by all the books the author loves.' So, I better get reading!

Be inspired by what's come before you and put your own mark on it...

No comments: