Thursday 7 October 2010

Day 122: National Poetry Day

Today is Britain's National Poetry Day and I thought it only right to give it a mention on a creative blog. If it's the day of poetry, then we all better get on and write some!

Luckily for you guys, I've been writing poetry with 10 year olds today. If they can do it, I'm pretty sure you can. So, here goes...

We were looking at William Blake's Tyger, Tyger poem, which asks questions of a tiger and its maker. So here is my challenge for you:

Think of an animal, probably your favourite animal.

Then ask it a question.

Next, answer the question as if you were the animal.

These three things put together make a verse of your very own poem. Here's mine to help you out:

Panda! Oh, panda!
Why are your eyes so black?
I cried and cried for my dearest friend and now I'm stuck like this,
and now I'm stuck like this

Panda! Oh, panda!
Why do you eat so much?
I munch and munch to fill my belly or else I'll surely starve,
or else I'll surely starve.

So, that's my effort. Bit morbid perhaps, but not bad I'd say. I've managed to get a few senses in there and a bit of Chinese legend too (they say Panda's eyes are black because they rubbed ashes on them to mourn their good human friend who looked after them. Fact!).

So, why not have a go, eh? It is National Poetry Day after all! Get creative with your favourite animal. The kids I worked with today made up poems about ants, gorillas, hamsters and ducks! Cool huh.

What will you write about...?

No comments: