Sunday 17 October 2010

Day 132: The sound of...music

Today I found myself walking back to my house in the beautiful sunshine. It was lovely. But, I had a headache (not so nice). If you're familiar with headaches, you can imagine that the bright sunlight made it worse, so I was forced to look at the floor for most of my journey.

You know what? Looking at the floor made me concentrate on things other that what I saw, which was amazing! So often I notice visual stuff and fail to notice what's going on with my other senses.

So, just for you, here are all of the things I heard on my journey home:

As I walked down the road I caught snippets of conversations through open windows and down alleys. The crunch of broken glass beneath my feet put me on edge. Traffic rumbled in the distance, interrupted by a screeching song bird and another and another. The traffic turned into a roar as I approach the busy road and all other sound was lost, except the high pitch alarm of a shop unattended on a Sunday morning. Eventually I moved away, down a side street and the crackle of autumn leaves sounded refreshing in comparison. My own trousers swished, almost in rhythm with my breathing, in and out, in and out. The local radio blared out from somewhere and the rattle of keys round the corner told me I was nearly there. My gate creaked on its hinges and I was home.

So, there you have it, a journey in sound. Have a go the next time you leave your house. What will tickle your ears on your travels...?

No comments: