Sunday 6 February 2011

Day 244: Library Cuts


Yesterday saw 'read-ins' and protesting at the governement's plans to close Libraries across the UK. In Oxfordshire 20 of the 43 libraries are due to shut. In Doncaster (Yorkshire) 14 of their 26 will be closed.

So what do you think? Do you think it's a smart move? Is it a good way to save money? I mean, better that than taking it from Elderly care? Do people even use libraries anymore?

What do creative thinkers like us have to say on the matter?

If you ask me, keeping libraries open, you're not just caring for the elderly, you're caring for the whole community. It seems to me like the new government are squashing everything that brings happiness to people. You know, the free stuff. If I'm honest, I don't take out many books from the library, but I do spend a lot of time there. I study in the quiet area for hours, I sit in the reading corner before I start work, I brouse the books from time to time, I use their internet when I need too...

Libraries are free places where anyone can go and just sit, read, think, play, keep warm. The amount of people that gather in Bath's Library is amazing; children, business men, unemployed, homeless, students, retired...where else does this mix of people gather?

I used to get tons of books from the library when I was a kid. What are kids gonna do now?

Famous authors like Phillip Pullman and Mark Haddon have been joining the protesting too. If it's important to them, then maybe it should be important to us.

What do you think about it...?

No comments: