Friday 11 February 2011

Day 249: When stories come alive...

Yesterday I spent a good few hours actually writing (not blog writing, but 'proper' story writing.) Usually when I sit down to write, I know what events are going to happen and yesterday's session was no different. I knew that Holly (my main character) was going to go up town and get a charger for her stolen laptop (!), but on the way things happened that I didn't plan. She ends up seeing a job advert in the shop window. No big deal, right? Well, it fed an idea for later on in the story where her brother, Tom, gets a job there and nearly reveals Holly's secret...And she bumps into some 'bullys' from school which sets that up for later too.

Sometimes it freaks me out when this happens, like the story is creating itself. I didn't plan for any of that to happen, but it did. The world of my story invented it!

You probably think I'm going a bit crazy now. Surely those ideas came from me and I guess they did, but it's almost like the story is alive in its own right or something!

Freaky...

Try it yourself. Make up a character, give a bit of back story and then take them on a walk (on the page I mean, not literally.) You'll be surprised where they take you...

No comments: