Sunday 30 January 2011

Day 236 & 237: Oops, I did it again!

Ok, so today there is no excuses. I forgot. I actually completely failed to remember to write my blog yesterday. In fact, it wasn't until about 5 minutes ago that I actually realised I hadn't done it! You'd think after doing something every day for 235 days, I wouldn't forget, but I did. So there you have it. Can I put it down to being a scatty creative person? Will you let me??

To make up for my failings, I will brighten your day with not one, but two entries (lucky you, eh?)

It seems only right to talk about when creativity goes 'wrong'. What do you do when something you're working on isn't going how you want? What if someone else doesn't like it or it's just really hard? Do you give up? Should you give up?

You might be thinking I've brought all this up because I forgot to write yesterday. Well, partly, but I also got my marks back (on Friday) for the open chapters of my novel I'm doing for my final year. They were ok, but not what I wanted. I don't know about you, but I find it really hard to pick myself back up when I get bad grades. My story is a part of me and someone marked it. It's only natural that I feel down about it.

BUT, it's what I do next that's important. Do I keep going, working my butt off to make it as good as Emma Fowler can, or do I put minimal effort in, concentrate on my other projects and resign my story to failure?

I think you know which one I'm going to (try) and pick.

Creativity is a personal thing, but most of us do it to share. I don't know about you, but I don't want to keep it to myself. I do it for others as much as I do it for myself. Not everyone will like it, but some people will. And I'm still learning, you know. I often expect too much of myself. Quite clearly I'm not going to be perfect at writing a novel. I've never done it before!

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't give up. If you're creative, then it's a part of you too and it aint gonna go away! So keep going and enjoy it!

(Stay tuned for another exciting entry on Creative Thinkers!)

No comments: