Thursday 27 January 2011

Day 234: Creativity and the bean stork

Are there some things that are more important to you than others? Do you think some lessons at school/college are more worth while?

I find that it doesn't matter how much work I've done for Uni each day, if I haven't written anything for my novel, I don't feel like I've achieved anything. I could have done loads of reading, planned for my competition project, sent a million emails...if I haven't done any creative writing then, in my head, I've done nothing.

Do you ever get like that?

Sometimes, I'll get to the end of the day feeling a bit rubbish about my 'achievements', then I'll do half an hour of knitting (or something else creative that I love) and everything's fine again.

What does this say about my priorities? What does it say about what matters to me? What does it say about my creativity?

It's weird isn't it? Do non-creative people get this? Please don't tell me I'm the only one!

After a bit of thinking, I've come to the decision that creative things I do, like knitting and writing, grow. I can see the change I've made. There are more words in that story, the characters are more developed...the dinosaur I'm knitting  has a longer neck (yep, I'm doing it...see Day 213).

So yeah, it's in the word...to be creative is to create. Why wouldn't you love it?

No comments: