Monday 13 September 2010

Day 98: Websites

WARNING: Today's entry is a bit of a rant.

Allow me to walk you through my morning. I have spent its entirety on ONE website trying to sort out the simplest thing. All I wanted to do was tell 'them' I have changed my Uni course from Art and Creative Writing, to just Creative Writing. Easy, right? WRONG! Why? Because the website is RUBBISH!

My morning's task was one of those necessary ones like a banking or insurance. I thought, 'I'll do it on the web, it'll be easier.' Why is it that websites for these essential tasks are the WORST websites? It is IMPOSSIBLE to get through it without your blood pressure rising to an uncontrollable level.

You're password is wrong...you're on the wrong page...you have the wrong form...your entry date is wrong...we need a copy of your passport...confirmation is required...

I literally thought my eyes were going to pop out at one point, they make me sooooo...

I am almost 1000% sure I am not alone when it comes to this issue. Do you get REALLY ANNOYED with poorly layout websites which make, what should be a simple task, a maze of frustration and confusion?

Am I alone here?!

Where is the positive bit? Well, stay with me. If you think about it, the Internet is a relatively new phenomenon. It's been around for (roughly) ten years now, which is still pretty young. Just think about how it will change before its Twenty. How old are you? Could YOU be the one making those amazing changes it so desperately needs over the next ten years?

On behalf of the whole world I am asking all of you who have the remotest interest in websites to step forward and please take the baton from those who are 'designing' them now. It seems that the world needs creative people. YOU can do it better, I know you can. Keep going! We need you!

All I have left to say is, Thank you!

No comments: