Wednesday 21 July 2010

Day 44: What's in a name?

I think William has really posed an interesting question here. What is in a name?

Do you think names are important?

There are definitely names I like and names I don't. For me my taste in names is usually defined by other people I know. In my primary school there was a nasty little boy called Nathan and he is the only person I've ever known called Nathan. So, understandably, I don't really like it (sorry if you are/know someone called Nathan). But the name Jenna, I've never met anyone I didn't like called Jenna.

I'm pretty sure that you have similar stories.

So it would seem that there is something to names. I think it's definitely something to consider when it comes to giving our characters names in plays, stories, poems, dramas, scripts...

I am 'drawing up' two new characters at the moment and I know one of them is called Holly. It was just the name she wanted, but the other character (who is also a girl) is more tricky. I don't know what her name is yet...this is what brought all this name stuff up!

Are names important? I wouldn't say 'Emma' really defines me, but I can't imagine being called anything else.

Something to think about...

No comments: