Wednesday 14 July 2010

Day 37: Oli

All you budding writers out there, try this out. In fact, even if you're not a writer, give it a go anyway. Anything that gets your creative juices going is worth it! I recon it could spark off a lot of ideas (hence why I'm sharing), not just for story writers. Okay, here goes...

Look around you and find an object (something vaguely interesting. Don't chose a plug socket or something boring like that.) Now I want you to imagine that your chosen object is you (ie, you become a lamp).

Now write 50 words exactly which describe you as this object. How do you feel? Do you like what you do? What do you look like?

Oh, and one more thing. Each word can only be one syllable! (ie, one sound like cat rather than kitten.)

Take a look at my example. See if you can guess what I am:

This is my safe place, cool and dry. Light streaks through the blinds all day. Specks dance round me, full of grace.
All at once my stretched out leaf is touched by a beam and I glow. Some dust lands on me, but some falls. Here I stay, at peace.

In case you didn't guess, I am a plant which sits in my bedroom. I have had it since I was 14 and he is called Oli (sort for Oliver).

Have a go yourself. I love doing these kind of challenges. It's fun to see what you can say with such restrictions. Plus it's great for editing and makes you really think about your word choice.

If you're a musician, try writing some lyrics this way. If you're a script writer, try describing a scene or doing some dialogue. Poets, I think it would be great for you.

What my teacher said to me, I shall say on to you; if you can write this, you can write anything!

See where it takes YOUR creative mind...

No comments: