Sunday 27 February 2011

Day 265: Adele Geras

When I was a teenager, I read Troy by Adele Geras and LOVED it! It follows the epic battle of Troy from the point of view of two Trojan sisters, Xanthe and Marpessa. I had learnt about the Trojan War at school and loved how Adele Geras had weaved a fictional story into the legend of Troy.

So, imagine my surprise when I go into Waterstones looking for a new teenage fiction novel to read (to help my own writing) and find Adele Geras has written Ithaka, a book about Penelope, the wife of Odysseus, a Greek king who fought in the Trojan War and took twenty years to return home to Ithaka.

I'm about half way through now and am really enjoying it. She cleverly uses language to portray the ancient time and intertwines the character's lives with visits from the Greek gods; Pallas Athene, Artemis and Poseidon. I think the fact that I studies The Odyssey when I was a sixth form makes me love it and want to fall back into that world of heroes, gods, and adventures.

Don't you just love it when you get stuck into the world a book creates? It always makes me want to write if I'm reading a good book.

Turns out Adele Geras has written loads of great books. She's even got her own website.

Take a minute to think about what you really like. What subjects interest you? What do you enjoy learning about a school/college? I bet there's a good fiction book about that somewhere. Google it and see what you find. Better yet, go into a shop and ask. Sometimes it's nice to ask someone who can answer you back, rather than a machine who can only guess. Know what I mean?

Happy hunting. Happy Reading!

No comments: