Tuesday 15 February 2011

Day 253: Black Swan and The King's Speech

On Sunday night I went to see Black Swan and to be perfectly honest, I hated it. It freaked me out and I could not get to sleep for thinking about it.

Maybe it's just me, but I find, as a visually fueled person, images stay with me for a long time. I have also been told I have an over active brain, aka, I think too much, so watching to a film like that and then going to bed just reeks chaos in my mind!

About an hour after I'd settled down into bed, a picture from my wall fell down and scared the hell out of me! Seriously, I thought my heart was going to explode.

I'm just not very good at scary stuff, okay!

Anyway, mixed in with these fears was this thought; cinema (and films) have the power to affect us in incredible ways. In the past people have written about cinema audiences as passive. In other words, we just watch the screen with no interaction with what we see. But that is so NOT true. If that were the case, I would not be up for hours, fearing what might come up from under my bed. I wouldn't laugh at The King's Speech when King George VI is swearing at the top of his lungs. I wouldn't cry when he finally gives his first war time speech.

The cinema is a powerful creative creature. Don't under estimate it's affect on it's audience and don't go straight to bed after you've seen Black Swan!

1 comment:

jessica daisy said...

Haha..I watched this with your sister Becca, and a couple of other friends from work, and yes, you are right, it is pretty freaky (I had to cover my eyes when that Beth woman was stabbing herself in the face with the paper knife) but I liked it a lot.

The next day at work our friend Becky cut her thumb right by her nail (like when she was in the bathroom at the party) and was really freaked out that if she pulled the skin it would rip all the way her arm!
Jess x