Thursday 2 December 2010

Day 178: Homeless Creativity

Today, on my way home from shopping, I saw a homeless man. He didn't have a coat or a scarf, but he was playing a guitar at the side of the path. I don't know about you guys but sometimes I feel a bit funny about giving homeless people money 'cause I don't know what they'll spend it on, so I gave him a cookie instead. He seemed pretty happy with it.

Anyway, we got chatting and he said he'd just bought himself a new guitar (which I thought was a bit strange, as he didn't have a home) and was using it to make some money. He said not having one was like losing a limb, which I thought was really interesting. Here I was talking to a homeless man who didn't have a place to sleep that night and all he spoke about was how pleased he was with his new guitar...

I guess my point is, creativity makes people happy. It doesn't matter who you are or what you do, being creative in some way seems to bring joy to people. Even though that man had nothing, in a small way he was content because of his guitar, because of what his creative skills could do for him.

What makes you content on the cold nights? Maybe we all need a bit more creativity in our lives...something to think about.

No comments: